Skip to main content

A short Vent about the challenges of doing new things in an old things world when I'm supposed to be feeling gratitude

I'm a pretty chill person, to be honest. I get up in the morning and I meditate to make space in my brain. I use my breath to clean my heart of anger, and to sit down and feel my hurts so that they don't engulf me, one stolen moment at a time. 

 But this Thanksgiving 2021, I was bereft of calm and gratitude. Of course, my always thoughts go to my family, my beloveds, the gorgeous home we get to live in, our relative safety. I'm learning more and more to acknowledge and insert awareness of my priviledges as a cog in a fairly unjust capitalistic empire that is squeezing people here and around the world for more of their life energy to give me good holiday food and christmas gifts. 

 I get that my life is a gift, and I get that my reality is enchanted, and in many ways, enchanted at the expense of others. I am grateful to have what I need, and I work to shift what doesn't need to belong to me into the buckets of others. 

 But we can't stop at staying grateful for some things when we have crumbs in other areas. When it comes to white supremacy culture, we can't stop and be complacent with meager representation and practically zero voice. While I am safe and loved in my home life, I am also going through a blindingly difficult crisis of loneliness in my career. 

 The job that I have always dreamt of, my first dream really, teaching theatre, has become an unsavory sustenance that I can no longer eat nor serve hot nor cold. I actually said the words last night for the first time; "...theatre is dying," I said. And I meant it. 

 In this current form of theatre making as an industry and as an educational endeavor, expression is held captive more than nurtured. Expression is not welcomed to the gathering centered on... Well, the gathering centered on Expression.

 We were told this industry would let us bring all of ourselves into the room, but in fact expression was relegated to white people who knew how to handle the guns and gatekeep the door.

 As our world reckons with the obvious corruption of our legal system, one that would allow a white boy to get away with killing Black folks for sport; and as the film industry reckons with the needless death of a talented camera operator due to a culture of ignoring the needs of the people who do the work, I'm over here in Baltimore realizing that my life's work in decolonizing theatre has purpose. 

Reason for celebration? No! I'm pissed! Because now that I know what constitutes my work, I DON'T know if I have the strength, the patience, and lets be honest, the RESOURCES, to help others experience it. 

For me to get others to experience what my work does, I'm gonna have to either outlast, out-yell, or out-sell, or ALL THREE!, every last white man in my field that still thinks this cancel culture shit is ridiculous.

Do I have that kind of staying power? 
(Its a rhetorical question.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clown Theory

Clown Theory:  An Introduction to this Blog Series Hi!  Thanks for joining me for this post, the first one in my new blog series, "Tara in Whiter-land".    I was inspired by countless years of failure to write this heart-wrenchingly true series of blog posts about how I completely and utterly suck.   Essentially, as a brown, fat, queer woman, I have found that I have never been white enough. Not that I haven't tried! There's always someone whiter than me, damnit, and they show me up, again and again, reinforcing better than I ever could the standards by which folks should laugh, cry, and organize together. As a treat for you, and because I frankly have trouble sleeping at night as a result of these failures, I am going to write about them. As a kind of penance. Nameless (for your safety), context-less (for mine), and completely satirical. Welcome to Tara in Whiter-land, The real life, out-of-context adventures of a brown girl who can't get her head out of the twat

YOU ARE IN IT

Hi friends, Today I'm thinking about my own specific harms from toxic bias in my education experience, the ways that white supremacy culture becomes part of the creative cannon by educators of theatre practice, healing, and accountability. 1. In the Middle of it... 2. What's your shoe size, Boogey? 3. Cry It Out 4. Fear as Cannon 5. Literal and Metaphorical CLOWN TRAINING 6. Identities 7. Culture 8. Punishments 9. The footprints of WS in education 10. Physical Theatre School Death Star 11.  The enduring legacy of fear-based education practices: it aint about you 12. "True Artistry" 13.  Making the Invisible, Visible 14. It was never about me 15 . On f reeing voices at the expense of other voices 16. B eyond their interests 17. You are in it (or, wrestling with White Supremacy Culture) Thanks for sharing the tea, and feel free to write to me with your thoughts at Tara@waxingmoonmasks.com. -Tara ***** I n   t h e   m i d d l e   o f   i t . . . I want to share some deta

Re-Imagining in my career, in my family, in my heart: A story about my last two years in Pandemic times

Hi friends! It's been a long while since last I wrote.  I hope this blog finds you healthier, more wise, and with more capacity to love than the last time we met here:  we could all do with some beneficial upgrades after a very difficult couple of years. Today I'm sharing with you something I wrote for an organization that is very dear to my heart.  "Women of Color in the Arts" or WOCA is an organization for us, and by us, and they are running strong after 12 years of bringing women of color in the arts together!!!   I'm ETERNALLY GRATEFUL to the women of this organization, specifically Alisha Patterson, Kaisha Johnson and Gwethalyn Bronner, but ALL the women of this organization, who have shaped a path of liberation through stories, sharing strength, sharing support, and intentionality.  On 3/22/2022, I had the great honor to present to the WOCA Community Care Circle on the story of my own Re-Imagining process.   To all the women who were there, (especially the f