Skip to main content

CONFESSIONS OF A FORMER WHITE PERSON, Part 2. Lessons In Naming: Rejection and Boundaries are Integral




Dear WS,

Here are REAL lessons from a lifetime of experience with White Supremacy.  

I have been writing fervently about my life as a brown girl raised by a white family in a white-centered culture and professional environment. I am naming all the ways that White Supremacy (sometimes referred to in my writing as WS, and sometimes addressed in place of the audience who is also steeped in white supremacy, so why not?) has taught me to be in the world, the ways that I have realized were never for my benefit, but for it's own. 

Through a cunning use of lesson reversal, I am naming not only the ill that we need to defeat, but also the practices and mindfulness that must be cultivated to defeat WS in your anti-racist life.

Though I am not addressing White Theatre directly here, know that each and every lesson has proven itself to me time and again in our American theatre industry.  Take note.

These lessons, dear reader, are my gift to you.

Love,

Tara


*****


Lessons in Naming:

1. Please be that Fucking Gorgeous Trash

2.  Rejection and Boundaries are Integral/ Try Saying No

3.  Know Your Worth

4.  Keep Fucking Going

5.  Assume You're Stupendous

6.  Question Everyone/ The Most Dangerous Type/ No Thanks from my Lips

7.  Colonialism in a Nutshell/  Oppressive Systems are Interrelated:  A Fill in the blank Absence of Truth Narrative about invisible control

8.  Question without Words


************


REJECTION AND BOUNDARIES ARE INTEGRAL


What I was taught:  ‘ACCEPTANCE’ IS HOW TO SURVIVE IN THE WHITE WORLD 

What I have learned:  REJECTION AND BOUNDARIES ARE INTEGRAL


*****


ACCEPTANCE


As a white inside but brown on the outside kid, I learned to make you my best friend, white supremacy.  

Instead of lessons that black and brown children learn from their parents about persevering and watching closely for signs of danger and what to move away from, I was taught white lessons of accepting whatever I was given, to be grateful (read as terrified until) when I was chosen, to always accept, and to be happy with scenarios where I could have enjoyed myself more had I protected my boundaries. 

That store bought plastic wrapped white bread we eat makes me feel awful, but I should be glad to have something to eat.  

Dissatisfaction with your interaction with a family member?  Ignore it, (rather than address it,) God will make it work out better next time. 

You always encouraged me to be grateful without knowing why I was given what I got. (BTW, I can't THINK of a more succinct way of explaining how abuse is perpetrated again and again.)

You always insisted I remain disconnected from the “why?” of most of the questions I had. It's just the way it was. 

It wasn't clear to me until I was older that, even without abuse or harsh punishment, this absence of knowledge and a force-fed ignorance of certain 'whys' was, in itself, a play of control.


*******


CONTROL


Control is not a bad thing in and of itself.  I am tasked with control of myself, my living environment, my family when we're out and about, all sorts of control falls into my privileged hands again and again.  

But the level of ignorance that children have about the real world around them... this is a control that needs to be examined carefully, to avoid flat out lying to them.  To prepare them.  To encourage healing the dissonance between what they hear and what they see.  Believe me, we catch on VERY QUICKLY to the lack of congruity.

As Dr Joy explains, that dissonance of action is actually a form of intense training for future dissonance in the lives of people who have been trained that they must keep control at all costs.  You remember seeing pictures of lynch mobs giddily gathered around some poor black man they just caught and hatefully separated from his life, right? Notice the children who are recognizing the dissonance in the photo, while the indoctrinated adults stand around smiling and posing!  The kids are trying to resolve the love and care that they are shown with the savage inhumanity being displayed.  

The result of this training is a loss of empathy for those you are tasked with controlling.

This is no different from the many acts of aggression and empathy-draining that are considered training for young boys who want to be initiated into the kingdom of "manhood".  What else is the phrase, "teach you to act like a man" meant to convey except job training for a position of power?  


******


CONFORMITY IS CONNECTION


Most subversively, WS, you reminded me that of my act of conforming to your will was the same as staying connected to other people...  There was no difference of opinion that was actually acceptable.  Amongst your followers, TO REJECT THEIR TRUTH WAS TO REJECT THEM.

I think about that statement now, and how I feel that my Republican friends, family and acquaintances have failed me because they are rejecting my truth surrounding the policies and rhetoric of  the current POTUS.  Is it the same thing, am I rejecting them by rejecting their truth?  

Well, lets try on a comparison:  when I reject white bread at the dinner table because it makes me feel nauseated, is the consequence (on the maker of the meal) a rejection of my host?  No, it's not. 

On the other hand, my truth, that which is being rejected by Republican friends, family and acquaintances in their continued association with the Republican party, is that I want to keep the right to live without fear of retaliation from law enforcement for enacting my legal rights. I want my rights to matter.  And in speaking up, in not conforming to the way things are now, I am not ejecting these loved ones from my heart.  

Conformity is not connection.

However, my conformist Republican counterparts would advocate that I should toe the line and quietly vote how I wish, not exposing my non-conformity.  Be private about your disagreement for Chrisssakes!  

The vote they are casting basically proclaims, as their president does, that it is fair game to shoot me dead in the street for protesting the brutality from all sectors of the federal and state authorities. Conform or be rejected.  

By not conforming, by risking rejection, even when we are standing up to protect innocent lives, it seems that WS interprets this as a rejection of connection, that we do not want to be connected.

It's not that I do not want to be connected.  It's that there is a difference between being connected and being controlled. Recognizing the difference between the two is key.


Acceptance of control is how to survive in the white world. 

So my advice is don't accept the bread. 

Say no.  


*****


MAKE BOUNDARIES


Make boundaries that make you feel safe, valued, and that preserve your love for yourself and what you do in this world IN SPITE OF the push you will feel to conform, the sheltering from the truth that will occur, the concessions you will be asked to make.  

If it has to do with your well being, don't let anyone gaslight you into believing that your connection to them is more important than self preservation at any level.  If they don't support your well being in a time of conflict, it's likely that they are in support of the patriarchal/ white supremacist/ hetero-normative, whether or not they know it.



********

TRY SAYING NO


Here's the thing:  You won't know that these systems are netting you in from becoming the person you need to be unless you test it.  The only way to know that you are being oppressed is by exercising freedom to choose differently.  

So try it.  

For example, if you are someone who often wears make up to show you are professional:

Try showing up in important images of yourself without makeup and see what happens.  

Do you still enjoy your self image? If not, why?  Have you confronted any vestiges of internalized ageism that might be lurking about?  Are you still "you" without a deeply gendered representation or are you, a different person?   

And what of the makeup-version of yourself?  Is that persona important and WHY?  

Do you feel that wearing makeup in this way, with this intention, gives you an edge on other people?  How deeply does that competition with other (mostly) women-identifying people reach?  

This is not a challenge for folks who have already hurdled themselves over the wall of gender expression and chosen differently than their society-biased representation.  Yall already know what this is about.  

But for those of us who have always used makeup as a tool in our toolbox to push past the misogyny of our workplaces, I ask you to reconsider your tactics for the sake of identifying where white supremacy lives in this choice.  

Knowing WHY we do things allows us the gift of choosing differently.  

I find that I am treated as more attractive and more professional if I wear makeup.  Respect.  And as a brown woman, you better believe I have had history of hustle in regards to garnering respect.  I've played all the parts in order to acquire the respect I wanted from others.

Is this beauty standard a signal we've all internalized? Wearing makeup, is it a show of willingness to do what society wants from you?  

Are you treated the same by known and unknown folks, and if you are not, can you love yourself just as fiercely as you did when you were trying to please others?   


*****


YOU ARE NOT FREE


Look, I believe in you, even as we are completely filled with white supremacy rhetoric in every fiber of our beings...  I want you to have the freedom to put on some bad-ass eyes.

But it's worth asking:  if you didn't have to conform to rules that push others out in order to be accepted, would you choose to live differently? 

In saying NO to the cultural norms, especially the ones we haven't bothered questioning, we turn the beast's eyes upon us.  

We can sense the scorn, feel the anger that exists when we signal that we don't want to participate in some form of untruth or injustice.  The pushback that occurs usually starts out playful and teasing.

Then there might be a lot of silence.  

If you keep saying no, you might start seeing signs of being rejected.  

This is when you know the truth:  these rules are not here to create safety or equality, they are here to establish justification for the ones that always win.  

If your authority can't be accepted by others for not wearing lipstick, there are systems of control at play.  Ultimately, misogyny is white supremacy's longtime partner, patriarchy.  Ultimately, ageism and beauty competition is all about patriarchy.  They are inextricable.  

And ultimately, if you can't stop doing these things and still feel powerful and successful in your endeavors, you are playing white supremacy's game.

Even if you're white.  You are not free. 


*****


REFUSE


While on vacay with my family, following social distancing rules, eating outside and away from an establishment or in our truck, doing what we could to get away from our home, we stumbled on ecological manifestation of the rule of acceptance, in the form of plastic.

Plastic represents an ecological disaster in process that we all WANT to navigate more responsibly, and it's even more difficult than ever before to avoid now that we have to use single serve containers even more aggressively in all carry out scenarios due to Covid 19.

And contrary to so much popular belief, recycling is NOT going to save our souls because a majority of plastic containers out there are not recyclable.  And folks are NOT reusing them.  "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" was a marvelous starting mantra to begin our cultural consciousness... but decades after the branding was done on this mantra, even though it is known globally, reduce, reuse and recycle is not enough.

Turns out there is another "R" word that we didn't inclue that is requisite in a world that can't control it's use of single-use plastic...  and that word is REFUSE.

Getting out and about during quarantine was delightful for our family until we realized how DAMN MUCH plastic wear/bags/containers we were using.  It was disgraceful. 

But wait-  we were going to do our best, we were going to recycle where we could, we were going to try to only eat out when we were needing meals, we were only using the utensils we needed for the meal, and if something was reusable, all the better!

Weren't we doing enough?

The answer is no.  


******


THINK AHEAD OF THE SYSTEM


We learned, fairly slowly I'm sad to say, that in order to live up to our own morals about plastic use, we had to learn to REFUSE plastic eating utensils again and again.  We had to tactically switch plastic lemonade cups from the fountain soda machine to paper coffee cups and not use lids or straws.  We had to THINK AHEAD OF THE SYSTEM and know WHEN TO SAY NO.

This is very much like white supremacy culture.  Acceptance means doing the best you can within the system that is established.  REFUSING means making your own way in order to avoid committing cultural habits, like massive amounts of single serve plastic items. 

Learning when and how to say and navigate NO is not something our culture prepared us to do, and thus, here we are, still producing obscene amounts of single serve plastic that is destroying our planet's water habitats.

You must know that you're making a choice before you can choose differently.

By setting up our own moral boundaries around issues that we might not have considered to even be choices previously, we reclaim parts of ourselves that capitalism, white supremacy and patriarchy have tried to sever from us.


(To be continued...)

CONFESSIONS OF A FORMER WHITE PERSON:  Part 2, Naming  


***********

T a r a  - I n - W h i t e r l a n d 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clown Theory

Clown Theory:  An Introduction to this Blog Series Hi!  Thanks for joining me for this post, the first one in my new blog series, "Tara in Whiter-land".    I was inspired by countless years of failure to write this heart-wrenchingly true series of blog posts about how I completely and utterly suck.   Essentially, as a brown, fat, queer woman, I have found that I have never been white enough. Not that I haven't tried! There's always someone whiter than me, damnit, and they show me up, again and again, reinforcing better than I ever could the standards by which folks should laugh, cry, and organize together. As a treat for you, and because I frankly have trouble sleeping at night as a result of these failures, I am going to write about them. As a kind of penance. Nameless (for your safety), context-less (for mine), and completely satirical. Welcome to Tara in Whiter-land, The real life, out-of-context adventures of a brown girl who can't get her head out of the twat

YOU ARE IN IT

Hi friends, Today I'm thinking about my own specific harms from toxic bias in my education experience, the ways that white supremacy culture becomes part of the creative cannon by educators of theatre practice, healing, and accountability. 1. In the Middle of it... 2. What's your shoe size, Boogey? 3. Cry It Out 4. Fear as Cannon 5. Literal and Metaphorical CLOWN TRAINING 6. Identities 7. Culture 8. Punishments 9. The footprints of WS in education 10. Physical Theatre School Death Star 11.  The enduring legacy of fear-based education practices: it aint about you 12. "True Artistry" 13.  Making the Invisible, Visible 14. It was never about me 15 . On f reeing voices at the expense of other voices 16. B eyond their interests 17. You are in it (or, wrestling with White Supremacy Culture) Thanks for sharing the tea, and feel free to write to me with your thoughts at Tara@waxingmoonmasks.com. -Tara ***** I n   t h e   m i d d l e   o f   i t . . . I want to share some deta

Re-Imagining in my career, in my family, in my heart: A story about my last two years in Pandemic times

Hi friends! It's been a long while since last I wrote.  I hope this blog finds you healthier, more wise, and with more capacity to love than the last time we met here:  we could all do with some beneficial upgrades after a very difficult couple of years. Today I'm sharing with you something I wrote for an organization that is very dear to my heart.  "Women of Color in the Arts" or WOCA is an organization for us, and by us, and they are running strong after 12 years of bringing women of color in the arts together!!!   I'm ETERNALLY GRATEFUL to the women of this organization, specifically Alisha Patterson, Kaisha Johnson and Gwethalyn Bronner, but ALL the women of this organization, who have shaped a path of liberation through stories, sharing strength, sharing support, and intentionality.  On 3/22/2022, I had the great honor to present to the WOCA Community Care Circle on the story of my own Re-Imagining process.   To all the women who were there, (especially the f