Skip to main content

WHY I WRITE THIS BLOG

 

As a person of color who hasn’t always known what it means to be a person of color, I feel a deep need to share my experiences with a spectrum of folks because I think that even if you know this shit is going on, until the stupidest among us (that’s me in this example) speaks up, these things stay marginalized. More folks need to say it out loud to help break the spell.  It’s an “Emperor has no clothes” kind of situation- but in this case the emperor is just wearing a business suit but it just so happens that this is also the garb of white supremacy culture so it’s harder to spot because it's everywhere!  ...If that makes sense.

Racial identity shouldn't mean anything.  Those folks who go around saying they are 'color blind' have a tiny part of the idea right, were the idea given no content at all, or were the world an entirely equitable place as it was.  But in context of the world where humans have been sold and beaten and killed based on the color of their skin, racial identity means something.  It shouldn't, but it does. Those people's lives should never have been altered by anti-blackness.  That's the persisting wrong. And those mutherfuckers who try to convince you that it's not happening "anymore" are either white and/or are benefiting from not being the people who are suffering.  People are still dying because of racial identity every single day.  Entire populations across the globe are being treated as cash cows because of racial identity.  Because some fucking arse decided that skin color defined the quality of humanness and then centuries of assholes who looked like him realized they needed to find a way to do the same for their own benefit.  THAT IS RACISM IN A NUTSHELL.

 Brown folks, you might be experiencing some similar things, realizing things are not quite right as I have been.  Maybe you're not seeing this stuff the same way, and you're thinking, Tara you're a leftist radical nutbag.  Fair.  I am leftist, I am more radical than many in that I believe that people need to change things that hurt them in the world around them rather than be hurt by it.  And I LOVE NUTS.  So, touche.

Black folks, you likely already have an understanding that is your personal experience with an anti-black world. I'm hoping that hearing parts from my journey lets you know that there are brown folk (and yes, some Asians – cuz we Asians have a bad rep right now with respect to our participation in upholding anti-blackness for our own benefit, folks) who are also disgusted with the privileged ability to jump back and forth across white lines when it suits them to benefit from white supremacy.  I know I have had privilege.  That's not how I want to walk in this world, at the expense of any one else.

And white folks, you especially, I write this because some of you really need to keep your finger on the pulse of uncovering the mess in Black and Brown lives which is still created daily by toxic  white culture.  Because you benefit from it, because you don’t experience the negative stuff or if you do you think "it's just the way it is" but have no recourse for changing it, because you might not SEE IT YOURSELF, you need to be informed.  And if you're going to be white around me, you need to care about being informed. 

I’m putting myself out there NOT because I think that I’m going to get some crazy number of readers whom I do not know in real life and become a professional blogger/writer.  Being known by many is not what I'm interested in.  My purpose is specific and debatable:  I’m putting myself out there because I’m hoping you’ll know me, that you’ll stay in relationship with me, that you’ll let yourself care because this is happening to someone you know, daily.  If I don’t say it, you can’t know it… and you, white friends, you need to know it.  

I believe in the power of the people to change things that are harmful.  Even the most self sabotaging behavior can be given a powerful and nurturing context.  Will the self sabotaging practices change if they are surrounded by true health and respect for well-being?  I don't know, our world has never truly made an effort to try that path.  

What do you say we try it?  Maybe in Baltimore?  Maybe in theatre?  

Whaddya think?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clown Theory

Clown Theory:  An Introduction to this Blog Series Hi!  Thanks for joining me for this post, the first one in my new blog series, "Tara in Whiter-land".    I was inspired by countless years of failure to write this heart-wrenchingly true series of blog posts about how I completely and utterly suck.   Essentially, as a brown, fat, queer woman, I have found that I have never been white enough. Not that I haven't tried! There's always someone whiter than me, damnit, and they show me up, again and again, reinforcing better than I ever could the standards by which folks should laugh, cry, and organize together. As a treat for you, and because I frankly have trouble sleeping at night as a result of these failures, I am going to write about them. As a kind of penance. Nameless (for your safety), context-less (for mine), and completely satirical. Welcome to Tara in Whiter-land, The real life, out-of-context adventures of a brown girl who can't get her head out of the twat

YOU ARE IN IT

Hi friends, Today I'm thinking about my own specific harms from toxic bias in my education experience, the ways that white supremacy culture becomes part of the creative cannon by educators of theatre practice, healing, and accountability. 1. In the Middle of it... 2. What's your shoe size, Boogey? 3. Cry It Out 4. Fear as Cannon 5. Literal and Metaphorical CLOWN TRAINING 6. Identities 7. Culture 8. Punishments 9. The footprints of WS in education 10. Physical Theatre School Death Star 11.  The enduring legacy of fear-based education practices: it aint about you 12. "True Artistry" 13.  Making the Invisible, Visible 14. It was never about me 15 . On f reeing voices at the expense of other voices 16. B eyond their interests 17. You are in it (or, wrestling with White Supremacy Culture) Thanks for sharing the tea, and feel free to write to me with your thoughts at Tara@waxingmoonmasks.com. -Tara ***** I n   t h e   m i d d l e   o f   i t . . . I want to share some deta

Re-Imagining in my career, in my family, in my heart: A story about my last two years in Pandemic times

Hi friends! It's been a long while since last I wrote.  I hope this blog finds you healthier, more wise, and with more capacity to love than the last time we met here:  we could all do with some beneficial upgrades after a very difficult couple of years. Today I'm sharing with you something I wrote for an organization that is very dear to my heart.  "Women of Color in the Arts" or WOCA is an organization for us, and by us, and they are running strong after 12 years of bringing women of color in the arts together!!!   I'm ETERNALLY GRATEFUL to the women of this organization, specifically Alisha Patterson, Kaisha Johnson and Gwethalyn Bronner, but ALL the women of this organization, who have shaped a path of liberation through stories, sharing strength, sharing support, and intentionality.  On 3/22/2022, I had the great honor to present to the WOCA Community Care Circle on the story of my own Re-Imagining process.   To all the women who were there, (especially the f