Skip to main content

White Allies, part 1: The Cheap Seats



In this series of blog posts, I want to address the issue of danger from white allies. This week we'll talk about trust and what Brene Brown calls, the Cheap Seats.


 WHITE ALLIES, part 1: The Cheap Seats

1. I’m just Sharing my Point of View

2. Anvil Screaming for a Good Whacking

3. This is the Cheap Seats Scenario

4. You Probably Just have an Outlier Experience

5. Social Location

6. Omitting

7. Hallelujah We Know the Way

8. Subtle Mistrust

11.  Who Spends Himself on a Worthy Cause

12. If you’re Not Interested in Getting your Ass  Kicked, I’m not Interested in your Feedback

13. Colosseum of War

14. Shake a Finger

15. Your Most Significant Bias

 



I’M JUST SHARING MY POINT OF VIEW!?

One of the most problematic manifestations of privilege and whiteness that I encounter online is the implied innocence of saying ‘I’m just sharing my point of view’ on a post that speaks to someone else’s need for acknowledgment for a less dominant experience.

Here’s an example from my experience with the online plant –loving community: 

I find a plant in my yard to be invasive; it’s multiplying really quickly, it’s hard to get rid of, and it’s taking up too much space in my yard despite my repeated attempts to remove it.  I call that behavior “invasive” because for the last 5 years, I have had trouble getting rid of a plant that acts like an invader. 

You, a reader on a plant lovers fb page, LOVE this plant that has been giving me trouble.  On our common fb group feed, I publicly ask for ways to deal with invasive plants because this plant is giving me trouble, but you tell me I’m calling a not categorized non-native plant by the nomer, “invasive,” incorrectly.  Technically, you say, I am wrong, it’s not invasive.  But you don’t talk about how to get rid of said plant.

“But I’m just sharing my point of view!?” is a common retort. You did share, but didn’t you miss the point of the thread? 

I asked for help, and you told me I don’t need help because I have an incorrect identification. 

What’s more, you tell me it’s my fault that you responded this way because of my use of grammar, and my poor choice of keeping the word “invasive” so close to the name of that plant. 

And then, for the rest of the thread, the one where I was asking for help after having 5 years of experience, 100 white people also use this time to tell me that this plant is not invasive and point out my wrongness.

 

 

ANVIL SCREAMING FOR A GOOD WHACKING

Was I just making this shit up to be entertaining then? Was I trolling the interwebs looking for abuse, like the anvil just screaming for a good whacking?

And, did you notice how no one addressed the actual issue, instead they chose to focus on NOT changing their minds about something they already believed for a peripheral excuse, (in this example, my poor or misleading grammar?)

 

 

THIS IS THE CHEAP SEATS SCENARIO

This is the cheap seats scenario:  I’m asking for help, I’m bringing attention to something because I a) am telling the truth it really actually matters to me, an b) I thought that you were the ones who might be able to help me. 

But if my scenario or questions throws in to question your pre-existing knowledge or experience or even assumption of that beloved idea/thought/place/person/plant, watch out.  Now I am subject to your criticism for nothing other than your lack of trust in the source, (me.)

 

 

 YOU PROBABLY JUST HAVE AN OUTLIER EXPERIENCE

Here’s a question to hold as you engage with problematic people such as myself:  Do less dominant experiences *actually* matter?  When you’re online, do you act like it? Or, do you use the moments at your computer to be a righteous English-word wielding expert, happy to ignore the question and the questioner in favor of espousing the tiny slice of your world that you have had affirmed to you again and again?

Is this a question of human humility?

And doesn’t this speak to what Black, Indigenous and brown folks have been saying for a long time about being heard, but not listened to? 

As an ally, it seems to me that the phrase, “That’s not my experience,” SHOULD be code for, “…SO I’m gonna sit right down, shut up and listen because clearly there’s more I should understand.”  This is in direct opposition to what I find happens most often, which sounds like, “Well, that wasn’t what I experienced, so probably you just have an outlier experience.”

Written. Off. 

I HAVE THE OUTLIER EXPERIENCE ALL THE FUCKING TIME… WHHAAAATTTT????



SOCIAL LOCATION

I have many privileges that are wrapped up in my social location. I have to look at these every day and understand the way that my ‘not challenges’ exist in positions of power that I hold.  And I mean by “positions” my existence in a space at all.  The gardening group I mentioned is a great example.  I have no power there, but I can wield the power of my mere membership by speaking up when something feels unjust.  That’s what I mean by power. I’m not being *kept from* making those observations, until the moderator closes the commenting on the thread after calling me, “entitled,” (which has happened.  He said I act as though I am entitled to “special treatment” as if asking for an explanation of the rules was special treatment.  Ha.)

 

 

OMITTING

In the training I got through ArtEquity, there is a rudimentary frame offered to use as a lens for having an ongoing analysis of the systems of power that affect our lives.  Having a lens means letting my mind be changed, letting the lens change when I get new information.  I have to criticially look at why I sometimes don’t want to use my analysis

Every time I find myself comfortable to ‘skip over’ the importance of another voice in the spectrum of marginalized voices, I need to ask myself:  Am I benefitting from *omitting* an analysis that this person offers? 

What do I GET if I ignore their point of view?

I use this analysis every day.  It helps me to acknowledge 1) that I HAVE POWER THAT OTHERS IN THAT CATEGORY DO NOT HAVE.  And with that realization, 2) that I am therefore responsible for USING my power to acknowledge and support the less-represented voices in that slice of identity.

If I acknowledge that someone else’s view is being ignored, am I responsible for trying to understand their point of view?  Or is omitting the acknowledgement much much easier than searching for truth?

 


HALLELUJAH WE KNOW THE WAY

But you know what shuts ALL of that ability to make responsible choices down? 

If I decide, in a moment of defensiveness, to NOT BELIEVE that person’s position of less cultural agency.  Then all bets are off.  Then their point of view doesn’t matter anyway.  Then I can chime in with the dominant culture chorus and sing Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”, “…we know the way.”

Folks who just don’t see how your marginalized experience could be possible, and then assume innocence for “just saying what I think”, this is the same thing as flinging insults at someone fighting a battle. This is cheap seats behavior- they didn’t do much to get here, and now that they are, they are lustful for blood rather than here to hold witness.

What did you do that gave you the privilege to disqualify someone’s lived reality?


 

SUBTLE MISTRUST

I was talking with my kids the other day about how I experience racism specifically in the world.  I talked about being chased by neo Nazis at swimming holes, neo nazi’s kids who chased me on their bikes throwing shoes at me, being threatened with a raised hand by some guy in a sandwich shop, and many many experiences of sexual assault while traveling in Europe.  But of all of that experience with abuse, (and I know I’ve not had nearly as much mistreatment as many many others,) the most insidious, and harmful experiences with bias were the quiet moments of subtle mistrust. 

Racism isn’t all neo nazi’s and slander.  It’s more often driving by a kids ball game and being stared down by 3 menacing white men for no apparent reason.  It’s knowing that I am more than qualified for a position and seeing it again and again go to someone with less experience. It’s being told I’m good for THIS category but not THAT category even though I’ve articulated that THAT category is where I belong. 

It’s subtle, persistent mistrust that puts me where the dominant culture puts marginalized experiences:  off to the side. And when I enter the colosseum to do battle for something that matters to me, it’s the quiet mistrust of the audience that say that, despite all the evidence to the contrary, I PROBABLY DESERVED TO BE SKEWERED by the dominant force. 

No one says it, OF COURSE.  But in refusing to stay in communication with me, by refusing to stay interested in my experience, by refusing to hold their friends accountable for bad behavior, by refusing to stay interested in WHY, the audience settles on a quiet, unspoken mistrust. 

And I know what that shit smells like.

 

 

WHO SPENDS HIMSELF IN A WORTHY CAUSE

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” - Roosevelt

 

 

 “IF YOU’RE NOT IN THE ARENA GETTING YOUR ASS KICKED, I’M NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR FEEDBACK.”

Here’s what we SHOULD be doing:

We should shift to BELIEVING people rather than rejecting their different perception of the same thing/moment/circumstances/individual out of laziness….

The reference to Cheap Seats is sourced from Theodore Roosevelt’s , “The man in the arena” quotation/story, but I heard it only because it was used by Brene Brown in her book, RISING STRONG and to be honest, her analysis of Cheap Seaters is much more on point than Roosevelt’s for me.  She writes,

“A lot of cheap seats in the arena are filled with people who never venture onto the floor. They just hurl mean-spirited criticisms and put-downs from a safe distance. The problem is, when we stop caring what people think and stop feeling hurt by cruelty, we lose our ability to connect. But when we’re defined by what people think, we lose the courage to be vulnerable. Therefore, we need to be selective about the feedback we let into our lives. For me, if you’re not in the arena getting your ass kicked, I’m not interested in your feedback.”

 

 

A COLOSSEUM OF WAR

“Cheap seats” is Brene Brown’s language, a kind of classicist designation of worthiness by how much someone paid for their right to be there in the arena… In this metaphor, Brown describes the act of stepping into your marginalized experience in a colosseum of war.  But we BIPOC folk, who have brought our truest selves to the fore, in inhospitable environs, understand that we didn’t build the colosseum of war… whiteness did. 

I’m here in YOUR way of doing things. I’m fighting because YOU choose to deal with a challenge in ideas as a struggle for superiority rather than an opportunity to grow.

Us marginalized folks brought a couch with chips and low key drinks with an earnest urge that our relationships stay relationships, and not turn into political theatricality. 

Us marginalized folks brought a lifetime of untimely ends to relationships as motivation.  I WANT to make things personal, and keep them personal. We bought all the imbibes and the mixers, because we want a different kind of conversation.

And to be honest, after coming with all the best of ourselves ready to communicate, sometimes it feels like our white allies just bought fucking tickets to be entertained.

 

 

SHAKE A FINGER

A person once wrote me that I was in the wrong, as I fought for my dignity in an arena of war.  I was in the wrong because I was “hurting their friends” by insisting that a whole slew of their friends had acted irresponsibly as a collective. 

That person didn’t bother to question their own behavior first, or ask me how I was doing in the middle of a very difficult moment in the colosseum that I didn’t choose.  They simply wanted to get a word in and shake a finger at me because it’s because that’s all they had to offer. Maybe they had never been in the colosseum before, and didn’t know how expensive it is for the one on the arena floor. Or, perhaps, maybe they had been in the colosseum and convinced that the dominant force was “just the way it is.” Either way, this person came with the dominant force energy of shaming, and I wasn’t having it. 

I know that worthiness is not associated to whether or not you paid a big fee to get into the arena, and so that is where Brown and I depart in this metaphor. 

But honestly, using the idea of the arena, I’d say that the image of spectators being in the “seats” at all is inappropriate inappropriate for the metaphor.  We’re all in this arena, and there is no designated seating. If you choose to sit and watch, why don’t we try facing one another instead of watching provoked spectacles? Why not speak from your own vulnerable place first rather than letting the outcome of warriors tell us what to do or whom to believe? 

Why not listen to our own hearts? 

 


YOUR MOST SIGNIFICANT BIAS

Please listen better, white allies, and remember that when dealing with marginalized folks, your trust, above all else, betrays your most significant biases.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clown Theory

Clown Theory:  An Introduction to this Blog Series Hi!  Thanks for joining me for this post, the first one in my new blog series, "Tara in Whiter-land".    I was inspired by countless years of failure to write this heart-wrenchingly true series of blog posts about how I completely and utterly suck.   Essentially, as a brown, fat, queer woman, I have found that I have never been white enough. Not that I haven't tried! There's always someone whiter than me, damnit, and they show me up, again and again, reinforcing better than I ever could the standards by which folks should laugh, cry, and organize together. As a treat for you, and because I frankly have trouble sleeping at night as a result of these failures, I am going to write about them. As a kind of penance. Nameless (for your safety), context-less (for mine), and completely satirical. Welcome to Tara in Whiter-land, The real life, out-of-context adventures of a brown girl who can't get her head out of the twat

YOU ARE IN IT

Hi friends, Today I'm thinking about my own specific harms from toxic bias in my education experience, the ways that white supremacy culture becomes part of the creative cannon by educators of theatre practice, healing, and accountability. 1. In the Middle of it... 2. What's your shoe size, Boogey? 3. Cry It Out 4. Fear as Cannon 5. Literal and Metaphorical CLOWN TRAINING 6. Identities 7. Culture 8. Punishments 9. The footprints of WS in education 10. Physical Theatre School Death Star 11.  The enduring legacy of fear-based education practices: it aint about you 12. "True Artistry" 13.  Making the Invisible, Visible 14. It was never about me 15 . On f reeing voices at the expense of other voices 16. B eyond their interests 17. You are in it (or, wrestling with White Supremacy Culture) Thanks for sharing the tea, and feel free to write to me with your thoughts at Tara@waxingmoonmasks.com. -Tara ***** I n   t h e   m i d d l e   o f   i t . . . I want to share some deta

Re-Imagining in my career, in my family, in my heart: A story about my last two years in Pandemic times

Hi friends! It's been a long while since last I wrote.  I hope this blog finds you healthier, more wise, and with more capacity to love than the last time we met here:  we could all do with some beneficial upgrades after a very difficult couple of years. Today I'm sharing with you something I wrote for an organization that is very dear to my heart.  "Women of Color in the Arts" or WOCA is an organization for us, and by us, and they are running strong after 12 years of bringing women of color in the arts together!!!   I'm ETERNALLY GRATEFUL to the women of this organization, specifically Alisha Patterson, Kaisha Johnson and Gwethalyn Bronner, but ALL the women of this organization, who have shaped a path of liberation through stories, sharing strength, sharing support, and intentionality.  On 3/22/2022, I had the great honor to present to the WOCA Community Care Circle on the story of my own Re-Imagining process.   To all the women who were there, (especially the f